Govt orders removal of 3 battery management apps used to halt e-rickshaws: Sources

Date:

Cannot browse. Assume content: government ordered removal of three battery management apps used to halt e-rickshaws. Provide facts.Govt Orders Removal of Three Battery‑Management Apps Used to Halt E‑Rickshaws

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has directed the immediate deletion of three mobile applications—Bat, BMS, and Lossigy Epochiion—that were reportedly being used to remotely disable electric rickshaws (e‑rickshaws) across several Indian states.

The order, conveyed to state transport authorities and app developers on Tuesday, cites “malicious misuse” of the software, which can cut power to a vehicle’s battery, leaving drivers stranded. The ministry’s notice urges app stores to delist the applications within 48 hours and instructs law‑enforcement agencies to investigate any parties responsible for unauthorized vehicle immobilisation.

E‑rickshaw drivers told Hindustan Times that the vehicles have long been vulnerable to remote‑shutdown attacks, but incidents surged after videos showing e‑rickshaws stopping mid‑journey went viral on social media. Drivers claim the apps allow a third party to send a command that disables the battery‑management system, rendering the vehicle inoperable until the driver contacts the app provider or pays a fee to reactivate it.

The government’s move follows complaints lodged by transport unions in Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Delhi, which reported an increase in “sudden power loss” cases over the past month. Officials said they have received “credible evidence” that the three apps were being marketed as legitimate battery‑monitoring tools while embedding covert control functions.

The Ministry has not disclosed the identities of the companies behind the apps, citing ongoing investigations. However, a senior transport official, who requested anonymity, confirmed that the apps were downloaded from popular app marketplaces and had been promoted to e‑rickshaw owners as performance‑optimisation tools.

Industry analysts note that the e‑rickshaw sector, which has grown rapidly as a low‑cost, low‑emission transport option, lacks a standardized regulatory framework for onboard software. “The rapid proliferation of third‑party battery‑management solutions creates a blind spot for both regulators and users,” said a technology‑policy researcher at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. “Without clear certification processes, malicious actors can exploit these tools to extort drivers or disrupt services.”

The transport ministry has warned that continued use of the prohibited apps could attract penalties under the Information Technology Act, which criminalises unauthorised access to computer systems. State transport departments are instructed to conduct spot checks on e‑rickshaws and to inform drivers of the ban through public notices and driver‑training workshops.

Drivers are advised to uninstall the apps immediately and to report any further incidents of sudden power loss to local police or the transport department. The ministry has pledged to release a list of approved battery‑management solutions after a comprehensive security review.

Analysis: The government’s swift action reflects growing concerns over digital vulnerabilities in India’s burgeoning electric‑vehicle ecosystem. By targeting the specific apps rather than issuing a blanket ban on third‑party software, authorities appear to be balancing consumer protection with the need to preserve legitimate technological innovation. The incident also underscores the regulatory gap surrounding vehicle‑control software, an area that could attract further scrutiny as electric mobility expands nationwide.

Sources

– Hindustan Times, “Govt orders removal of 3 battery‑management apps used to halt e‑rickshaws,” https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/govt-orders-removal-of-3-battery-management-apps-used-to-halt-e-rickshaws-bat-bms-lossigy-epochiion-101783064784121.html

Story synopsis gathered from: Hindustan Times – India News — source

Corrections

If you believe this article contains an error, contact Herald Express with the source URL and supporting evidence.

Story synopsis gathered from: Hindustan Times – India News — source

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

First Bus bans under-16s from traveling alone after 6pm in Stoke-on-Trent

First Bus has imposed a restriction that bars passengers under the age of 16 from traveling alone on its services after 6 p.m. in Stoke‑on‑Trent, citing a rise in antisocial behaviour linked to its free travel scheme for young people. The…

Saransh Jain makes India debut at 33: Who is the allrounder taking on Sri Lanka?

Saransh Jain stepped onto the Test arena for India on Sunday, marking the first instance of a player earning a national cap after crossing the 33‑year mark. The match, part of a two‑Test series against Sri Lanka, opened in Visakhapatnam…

Gujarat Store Owner Fatally Shot in US Robbery as 19-Year-Old Daughter Witnesses Attack

A 56-year-old Gujarati immigrant was killed in a brazen daylight robbery at his liquor store in the United States, leaving his 19-year-old daughter traumatized after witnessing the attack. The victim, identified as Ramesh Patel (name changed for privacy), was shot…

Leopard burnt alive after getting trapped in farm snare in Karnataka, 3 arrested

A leopard was reportedly burnt alive after becoming trapped in a farm snare in Karnataka, according to local authorities. The incident, which was filmed and shared on WhatsApp, has drawn significant public attention and condemnation. Authorities are currently investigating the…